The US has made a decision to end sanctions waivers that allowed Russian, Chinese and European firms to work at certain Iranian nuclear sites under the 2015 Iran nuclear deal. President Hassan Rouhani's approach of opening up the country to foreign investment received a blow after the United States exit from the nuclear deal and the reimposition of nuclear-related sanctions.
However, the sources said the United States would provide 60 days to wind down worldwide activities - which were created to make the Iranian nuclear programme less capable of producing weapons - at the sites.
"The sanctions waiver covering these activities will end following a final, 60-day wind-down period allowing companies and entities involved in these activities to cease their operations.", said Secretary Pompeo.
A spokesman for Iran's Atomic Energy Organization said in a statement Thursday that the Trump administration is trying to "distract public opinion" and that USA actions do not put pressure on Iran.
Information of the plan comes two days after Pompeo issued a scathing assertion over Iran's latest launch of a army satellite tv for pc.
But Mike Pompeo said that Iran had been "expanding proliferation sensitive activities" and said that was the basis for cancelling the waivers.
The US's top diplomat also accused Iran of "nuclear extortion" and said the move "will lead to increased pressure on Iran and further isolate the regime from the worldwide community".
"Enough was enough. Now it's time for the U.S.to finally and irreversibly end what remains of the deal and the benefits that Iran gets from it by invoking the sanctions snapback described in the deal's United Nations resolution", Cruz said in a statement.
Two years ago, Donald Trump, for reasons the American president struggled to explain, withdrew from the global nuclear agreement with Iran, but the White House left one element of the policy in place. But the deal guarantees that Iran will be able to import the 20 percent enriched uranium required for the operation of the Tehran Research Reactor.
A waiver for Bushehr Nuclear Power Plant, however, has been extended for 90 days.
In Iran's case, the blame centers squarely on the Trump administration's approach towards dealing with regimes adamant in developing nuclear weapons.
"Iran's leaders are facing a decision: either negotiate with us or manage economic collapse", he said.
Chinese and European companies are assisting with the redesign of the Arak nuclear reactor, Behrouz Kamalvandi, spokesman for the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran, told the semi-official Iranian Students' News Agency (Irna).
Pompeo, in his statement, also said they will not allow Iran to gain nuclear weapons capability.
Rob Malley, CEO of the International Crisis Group, and other former Obama administration officials have argued the move appears motivated by a desire to unwind the 2015 nuclear deal, rather than further US national security. "And we are, of course, strongly committed to continuing to support the IAEA and make sure that the rest of the global community joins as one in voicing support for the IAEA doing its job".