Sport

This is why defending champion Rafael Nadal pulled out of US Open

Share
Rafael Nadal frowns on a tennis court

"The tweet read", After many thoughts, I have decided not to play this year's U.S. Open". NY is a hotspot of Covid-19 in United States, a country which tops the case count globally.

In his social-media posts Tuesday, Nadal referred to this season's reduced tennis calendar as "barbaric", even as he thanked tournament officials for their efforts to ensure that events could be safely staged.

The Spaniard said that this was a decision he never wanted to take but in the end had to be taken.

Nagal lauded the US Open organisers for making plans to host the tournament despite the pandemic but feared that the Grand Slam may still get cancelled.

Rafael Nadal says he is gearing up to play at next month's French Open after deciding to withdraw from the US Open in NY.

Nadal, 34, defeated Russia's Daniil Medvedev in a five-set thriller in last year's final at Flushing Meadows, and could have eyed the chance to equal Roger Federer's all-time haul of 20 Grand Slam titles in NY this year.

Three-time US Open champion and world no. 1 Novak Djokovic headlines the field with the likes of Federer and Rafael Nadal giving the tournament a miss.

Paulina Dedaj is a writer/ reporter for Fox News.

The women's WTA Tour resumed this week with the Palermo Open, with one unidentified player pulling out on the eve of the tournament after testing positive for coronavirus, while the men's ATP Tour will start for the first time since March on August 22.

Nadal joins the current women's number one, Australian ace Ashleigh Barty, who recently declared she will not attend the Grand Slam tournament.

"Let's hope the situations evolve in the best way possible and the tournament can be played in the best circumstances possible during this hard situation". The Western & Southern Open, a hard-court tournament normally played in Cincinnati, was moved to the US Open site this year because of the pandemic and is scheduled to be played August 20-28. Speaking about Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic, Thiem mentioned his first Major final at Roland Garros 2018, facing the clay king Rafael Nadal in what was his biggest challenge in a career.

NY hospitals saw more than 18,000 patients with COVID-19 at a time in mid-April when infections surged and more than 750 patients with the illness died each day in hospitals and nursing homes. Also, Marco Cecchinato (No. 113) and Alexei Popyrin (No. 103), both Top 120 players who are good enough to make the US Open cut, are both entering European Challengers the week before the US Open. "I don't know my schedule, honestly" he said.

Share