Entertainment

Prosecutors will not file charges in overdose death of musician Prince

Share
As Prince's health waned his inner circle had grown increasingly alarmed

Some of Prince's closest confidants had grown increasingly alarmed about his health in the days before he died and tried to get him help as they realised he had an opioid addiction - yet none were able to give investigators the insight they needed to determine where the musician got the fentanyl that killed him, according to investigative documents released Thursday.

Prince, born Prince Rogers Nelson, was 57 when he was found unresponsive in his Paisley Park estate in Chanhassen on April 21, 2016.

He had been struggling with a dependence on painkillers, Carver County lawyer Mark Metz said.

Metz is not filing charges against anyone in Prince's death, which was two years ago tomorrow.

The images offered a glimpse behind the scenes of the Paisley Park home and recording studio where Prince died.

Prince is shown on his back next to a sun design on the carpet.

Other photos show texts allegedly between Johnson and Schulenberg, as well as images from inside Prince's elevator and private vault.

Metz said investigators were confident none of the medications prescribed by Schulenberg had caused Prince's death.

Sen. Amy Klobuchar took a moment to remember Prince on the Senate floor.

And Metz says he doesn't think the people around Prince knew it either.

"There is no evidence the pills that killed Prince were prescribed by a doctor".

Prosecutors add that no one will be criminally charged in the singer's death. He said there's no evidence any person associated with Prince knew he possessed any counterfeit pill containing fentanyl. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the federal case remains open.

However, Dr Michael Schulenberg, the doctor who had treated the superstar just before his death, has agreed to pay US$30,000 (S$39,000) to settle a federal civil violation for an illegal prescription.

Share