Entertainment

Prince William welcomes investigation of 1995 Diana interview

Share
1985 Britain’s Princess Diana wears the Spencer tiara as she and Prince Charles attend a state dinner at Government House in Adelaide Austraila. The BBC’s board of directors has announced on Wednesday the appoi

The BBC's board of directors has approved the appointment of a retired senior judge to lead an independent investigation into the circumstances around a controversial 1995 TV interview with Princess Diana, the broadcaster said Wednesday. This bombastic interview put Lady Di at odds with the royal family once and for all.

The BBC announced Wednesday the immediate start of an investigation into how it obtained an explosive 1995 interview with Princess Diana that lifted the lid on her troubled marriage to Prince Charles.

Diana was infamously candid in the interview with Bashir, and opened up about her struggle with bulimia, the breakdown of her marriage to Prince Charles, the pressures of wedding a future monarch and raising young sons.

The investigation comes after Diana's younger brother, Earl Spencer, claimed he was shown "false bank statements" by Mr Bashir and that those statements were used to help the reported gain access to the Princess. He claimed that Bashir showed him "false bank statements" purporting to show that two senior royal aides were being paid to keep Diana under surveillance. The extracts were produced by designer Matt Wissler at Bashir's request.

Prince William described the independent investigation into Martin Bashir's interview with his mother as a "step in the right direction" and is understood to have "tentatively welcomed" the move.

Recently Diana's brother made headlines when he demanded BBC to tender an apology for tricking her sister into giving the interview.

In the interview 25 years ago, Diana said "there were three of us in this marriage," in which she referred to Prince Charles' relationship with his Camilla Parker-Bowles, who he married after Diana's death.

Bashir has not responded to the latest claims.

The report of this investigation will be published at its conclusion, officials said.

Bashir, now the BBC's religion editor, is currently off work as he's recovering from quadruple heart bypass surgery and from Covid-19, which he contracted earlier in the year.

But the corporation has said that the documents played no part in her decision to take part in the interview.

"Therefore, we welcome your announcement yesterday of a fully independent inquiry, to be led by Lord Dyson, into the events surrounding the making of the original programme, as well as the BBC's investigation of it in 1995 and 1996".

The charity campaigner claimed "fraudulent documents" were used to "persuade" Princess Diana into taking part. She died in a Paris auto crash the following year.

"I will ensure it is both thorough and fair".

The media organization has also appointed a former judge to hold an inquiry how the interview was conducted.

Share