Ontario confirms first case of blood clot after AstraZeneca shot
Apr 24 2021
The figures for clots or "thromboembolic events" run up to April 14, by when 21.2 million people had received first doses of the vaccine, according to the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA).
The patient is a male in his 60s who had received his first dose of the AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD vaccine.
NACI says those are the only four cases they are now aware of in Canada, adding the blood clots are rare, and people have an individual choice if they would rather wait to take the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccines.
It did not say where the man lives, just that "additional details will not be publicly released to protect the patient's privacy".
"The health and safety of Ontarians remains our top priority", Williams said in a statement.
"The benefits of Vaxzevria outweigh its risks in adults of all age groups; however, very rare cases of blood clots with low blood platelets have occurred following vaccination", it said, using the brand name for AstraZeneca's vaccine.
Ontario will continue to offer the AstraZeneca vaccine to individuals 40 and older.
Ontario expanded use of the shot to those 40 years of age and older earlier this week and has seen its daily vaccination numbers leap ahead since doing so.
Dr. Williams went on to say serious reactions remain extremely rare, and they have a robust process in place to monitor for any adverse reactions to the vaccine.
The National Advisory Committee on Immunization is still recommending the shot for people aged 55 and up.
Health Minister, Dr Frank Anthony, is advising that if an individual is infected with the disease, COVID-19, after receiving their first dose of the vaccine, that person should wait until fully recovered before getting the second jab.
As of Friday afternoon's COVID-19 update, over 135,000 of this province's 462,000 eligible adults had been vaccinated with at least one dose.