Nigeria End Sars protests: President Buhari says 69 killed in unrest
Oct 24 2020
Sporadic gunfire was heard Friday morning but the city centre appeared calmer by afternoon, an AFP journalist said. In response to the protests, President Buhari disbanded SARS on October 11 but protests continued amidst a call for greater reform.
To the east of the city, in the Ibeju area of Lekki, armed men chased away police and several police stations were burned to the ground.
The broadcast was Mr Buhari's first public address to the nation since security forces were accused of gunning down peaceful protesters in Lagos on Tuesday.
Amnesty International said 56 people had died in the unrest across the country. Protesters active on social media disavowed the violence, saying that their demonstrations had been hijacked by criminals.
This latest development happened as the state government in Lagos on Tuesday, October 20, imposed an indefinite round-the-clock curfew which led to military forces converging at the melting point of the protests at the Lekki Toll Gate, where shots were fired directly into the crowd of peaceful protestors.
Governor Sanwo-Olu indicated that multi-agency investigation into Lekki incident might begin next Monday when the order would have been fully restored across the state, pointing out that the recordings of the CCTV security cameras at the Toll Plaza would be useful in unravelling the circumstance that surrounded the incident.
As such, Nigerians have been taking to the streets by the thousands to combat police brutality, a protest that has since escalated into violence.
But many Nigerians are upset by what the president hasn't said.
"The spreading of deliberate falsehood and misinformation through the social media in particular, that this government is oblivious to the pains and plight of its citizens, is a ploy to mislead the unwary within and outside Nigeria into unfair judgement and disruptive behaviour", he said.
He said the President responded, directing the Chief of Defence Staff to liaise with him.
For almost two weeks, Nigeria, Africa's leading economic power and the continent's most populous country, has been rocked by unprecedented protests that began on social media.
The days of unrest have risked seeing the message of the initial protests get drowned out as looters and vandals took advantage of the chaos.
But local authorities and rights groups said the attackers were members of the armed forces.
"I am energized and do not feel defeated at all", she wrote on Twitter. So we should go home, everyone should go home because you say it again? Celebrities, including Beyonce, Rihanna, and Anthony Joshua have sent messages of support for the movement.
"This is the most important moment in Nigeria's history... that is what we are witnessing right now because if nothing changes after this, if this doesn't work, then it is over".
"The youth of the largest black nation in the world came together and decided enough is enough".