World Media

Mother says Alabama police beat her 17-year-old son in handcuffs

Mother says Alabama police beat her 17-year-old son in handcuffs

While Wilkerson is African-American and remembers being kicked by a white officer, the family stressed that it was not a racial issue. When the officers tried to speak to him, he ran, which prompted a foot chase. Once the teenager was apprehended, police allege he failed to cooperate with officers' requests. "The subject continued to struggle with officers and kept reaching toward his waistband as if he was attempting to access a weapon; all while repeatedly ignoring officers' commands to stop resisting and give them his hands". It is not clear how many officers were involved.

Officers say that when they later returned to the scene of the beating, they found a discarded handgun they believe to be Wilkerson's.

Crump and and attorneys Dustin Fowler and Stephen Etheredge of Buntin, Etheredge and Fowler in Dothan will represent 17-year-old Ulysses KeAndre Wilkerson, the attorneys said in a statement Thursday.

The Troy police chief is now asking for an independent investigation.

While they've provided short statements on Ulysses' Sunday arrest, Troy police and the Alabama State Bureau of Investigation (SBI) have yet to divulge key pieces of information, despite multiple requests from CNN. According to a police press release, officers saw Ulysses walking around downtown Troy. "Please share this", Angela Williams wrote, "shit happening in Troy Al now". Buzzfeed reports that, in a statement, the Troy Police Department has deemed the use of force as "necessary". Lt. Heath Carpenter told the website that the case is still under investigation while refusing to say whether any officers had been put on leave.

The hospital pictures Williams took of Wilkerson's severely swollen and bloodied face went viral on Facebook, bringing national attention to the incident.

Ulysses Wilkerson's mother, Angela, shared a post on Facebook in which she demanded to know why police brutally placed her son in handcuffs.

Suffering facial injuries Wilkinson was transported to a Birmingham hospital.

Wilkerson's mother's Facebook post has been shared almost 100,000 times at the time of writing.

Wilkerson fled when officers left their squad auto to approach him, and, once apprehended a few streets over, refused demands to put his hands behind his back, police said.

Wilkerson's father, Ulysses Wilkerson Jr., reportedly told WKRG, a CBS-affiliated news channel, "He [Wilkerson] had trauma to the brain, swelling on the brain, and a cracked eye socket in three different places". They say this is to protect the interest of the young person involved. The family is adamant about the community staying engaged to help seek justice for their 17-year-old son.

In an interview with CNN, Ulysses' mother said she just wants some answers.

Wilkerson was charged with obstruction of governmental operations and resisting arrest, but his father told WDHN that the charges were dropped. At least one of the officers has received threats on Facebook, the prosecutor said.

Fortunately, video and audio of the incident from other sources does exist. "The ambulance came to take him to UAB".

Since the case has gained national attention, civil rights activists plan to stage a demonstration outside the police department on December 30, the Rev. Al Sharpton posted on Facebook.