World Media

Man survives weeks in remote Alaska after cabin burns down

Tyson Steele 30 was rescued about 20 miles outside of Skwentna

Finally, about 20 days after the fire, Mr Steele saw the Alaska State Troopers' helicopter above him.

Tyson Steele, 30, was found among the rubble of his remote homestead in the Susitna Valley on Thursday morning, according to a news release from the Alaska State Troopers, after friends asked authorities to perform a welfare check after not hearing from him. I grabbed everything that was on my bed.

"At that point, I just sat down on the ground for awhile".

While talking to an global media outlet, Steele described the heartbreaking moment when he lost his 6-year-old chocolate-coloured Labrador. Inside. And I thought he was not inside... "It was like a war zone", Mr Steele said.

But when Steele went outside, he listened to Phil groaning- within. I was hysterical. Right?

He said: "It's by no means a cosy cabin that I was able to put together". Just a visceral - not angry, not sad - just. all I could express, just scream. I felt like I was tearing my lung out. By then, his plastic hut had become an inferno, as his 500 rounds of ammunition exploded.

For hours, he tried shoveling snow onto the flames but it was no use. But he knew how to make a fire - and he knew, he said, that he should never have thrown a large piece of cardboard into his vintage stove.

His first task was to make an inventory: he saved 60 cans, of which he knew he could survive 30 days by rationing two a day.

Miles of rugged wilderness, including forests, hills, rivers, and lakes, stood between his homestead and the nearest road system, and his closest neighbors were 20 miles away in the tiny community of Skwentna, Alaska.

He said he next built another shelter from tarps and scrap lumber to create a tentlike structure around the wood stove that once heated his cabin.

He collected the food that survived the fire- tinned items, some beans and peanut butter, and figured he had adequate food to have 2 containers a day for a month.

Steele had a "crappy" phone that he'd been using to check in with friends and family, but authorities said it was lost in the fire.

Alaska State Troopers shared footage from the rescue, which showed Steele standing in the snow waving his arms to troops in a helicopter while standing beside a massive SOS signal carved in the snow.

Next to the shelter, he stamped out "SOS" in the snow and filled it with ash so people flying overhead would see that he was in trouble.

"I say Phil:" Get out of here!

"It broke another rule that I had established for years, and that had to be strict in my weekly communication - call my parents and let them know I'm good", he complained. But I have no idea which waterways remain frozen enough to walk on - I would go on the ice can fall.