World Media

'Lie' causes lockdown in Australia - NationNews Barbados

Share
An empty street in Adelaide during day one of total lockdown across the state. — AFP

A pizza worker who lied to contact tracers prompted health officials to put South Australia into a strict six-day lockdown.

Authorities initially thought the man had caught the virus during a very short exposure, meaning the strain of virus was highly contagious.

South Australian authorities have said that the lockdown could have been avoided if the man had just been honest about working at the pizza parlour.

Police Commissioner Grant Stevens said had the man been truthful to contact tracers, the state would not have gone into a six-day lock down.

"This is the one element that pushed us from the level of restrictions we were implementing on Tuesday to a much harsher regime", he said.

"I think the actions in the first instance where appropriate. the contact tracing process is not as straightforward as people might expect it to be and the need to act quickly is always there".

Mr Stevens would not be drawn on the man's likely motivation for misleading contact tracers. "We are now taking action to amend that", he said.

The single case was an immunosuppressed person making a "slow and steady" recovery, Health Minister Martin Foley said on Saturday.

Private gatherings at licensed venues will be capped at 50 (with no stand-up consumption allowed).

South Australia has recorded 553 cases since the start of the pandemic.

A cluster of infections in a northern suburb of the capital city of Adelaide has seen more than 20 cases.

Gold Coast local Annie Fuller said she believed the borders to South Australia should be reopened after it was revealed a lie had led to serious concerns about the potential for the virus to spread through the Adelaide community.

Medical staff talk to people at a walk-in station at Parafield Airport in Adelaide during day one of total lockdown across the state to fight COVID-19 on 18 November 2020.

"The lie was the person claimed that they had purchased a pizza from the pizza shop, when in fact they were working there and had been working there for several shifts", Stevens said.

The state reported three new cases on Friday, all of which are connected to the cluster and all of the people infected are in quarantine. "We are still managing a very unsafe cluster, and although we are reducing those restrictions, we are still very concerned about this cluster and there are still many people we need to identify and put into a quarantine situation".

South Australia will revert to a series of similar restrictions imposed at the beginning of the week from midnight on Saturday.

Share