Kazakhstan Denies China's Claim of New Deadly Virus
Jul 11 2020
Writing on social media app WeChat, the embassy said there had been a "significant increase" in cases of the new disease since mid-June, Reuters reported.
Chinese state newspaper The Global Times reported that the unidentified disease caused nearly 1,800 deaths in the first half of 2020, including over 600 people in June alone.
"The mortality from this disease is much higher than from a new coronavirus infection". They aren't sure if the pneumonia it referred to was caused by a virus related to coronavirus or a different strain. "The Ministry of Health of Kazakhstan and other institutions are conducting a comparative study of the pneumonia virus, and the final determination has not been accepted", the Chinese embassy said in a statement.
Saule Kisikova, the healthcare department chief in the capital Nur-Sultan, told the news agency Kazinform: "Some 300 people diagnosed with pneumonia are being hospitalised every day".
Russian Federation has the world's fourth-largest COVID-19 population right now, with over 713,000 confirmed cases that have been reported.
Kazakhstan imposed its second lockdown this week in a bid to control the spread of coronavirus. The same official said doctors were finding 600 people per day with pneumonia symptoms, compared to 80 a day before the start of the coronavirus pandemic.