World Media

Iran warns USA against making ‘strategic mistake’ after Trump’s new threat

Share
Lana Marks and her husband Dr. Neville Marks are shown at the 2012 Mental Health Association of Palm Beach County Inc. Bell Society Dinner at The Colony Hotel in Palm Beach Fla

The U.S. did not respond, instead claiming to have restored "deterrence" against Iran.

Regarding Politico's report on the alleged Iranian plan to retaliate for the killing of Soleimani., Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said he did not "want to comment on the intelligence" but did not rule the prospect of a clandestine operation.

The strike on Soleimani exacerbated already high tensions between the United States and Iran, which have been steadily escalating since Trump withdrew Washington from the 2015 nuclear accord.

The U.S. killed Solemani in an airstrike at Baghdad's global airport in January because, defense officials, said he "was actively developing plans to attack American diplomats and service members in Iraq and throughout the region". At the time, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the USA killed Soleimani to re-establish a deterrent against Iran.

The background: The US claims that drone strike that killed Soleimani was never meant to do so, rather it was intended as a deterrent to Iranian aggression.

Americans blame him for the death of numerous United States troops in the region. The FBI released wanted posters with their photos and online monikers - Mrwn007 and Mrb3hz4d - urging the public to contact the nearest authorities if they have information about them. The agreement, negotiated under the United States administration of Barack Obama, had imposed restrictions on Iran's nuclear program in exchange for the lifting of worldwide sanctions.

Most recently, the Trump administration - met with broad worldwide opposition - has launched a pressure campaign to gain support for the extension of an arms embargo on Iran which is set to expire in October.

Last week, the Iranian navy said it drove off American aircraft that flew close to an area where military exercises were underway near the Strait of Hormuz, the news agency AFP reported.

The military said three U.S. aircraft were detected by air defences.

General Kenneth McKenzie, the head of U.S. Central Command, has said that he had been expecting a "response" from Iran over the US's presence in Iraq.

Last Wednesday, McKenzie confirmed plans to cut the US troop presence in Iraq from 5,200 to 3,000 by the end of September.

"We make very clear to the Islamic Republic of Iran that this kind of activity - attacking any American any place at any time, whether it's an American diplomat, an ambassador, or one of our service members - is completely unacceptable".

An intelligence source told Fox News the intel community is taking the threat against the ambassador seriously and believe the Iranian regime potentially has the ability to act on an assassination plot.

Marks was confirmed by the Senate to her diplomatic post past year. They have assassinated people in Europe and in other parts of the world.

Share