Sport

Iran names man accused of Natanz nuclear plant attack

Share
Demonstrators of an Iranian opposition group protest near the 'Grand Hotel Wien' where closed-door nuclear talks with Iran take

His comments follow a report by Axios last week citing an unnamed senior Biden official, who said that the United States had "put forward some very serious ideas" and "demonstrated a seriousness of purpose" at the recent Vienna nuclear talks, while Iran has yet to demonstrate that it will "match" "that seriousness of goal". The deal limited Iran's enrichment to 3.67%.

Iran announced on Friday that it had begun producing uranium at 60 percent purity, the latest breach of its commitments to an global deal aimed at curtailing its nuclear capabilities. "We need now more detailed work".

Salehi said the centrifuges now produce 9 grams an hour, but that would drop to 5 grams an hour in the coming days.

"I am proud to announce that at 00:40 last night, and on the night of the pilgrimage of Sayyid al-Shuhada, young and pious Iranian scientists were able to obtain a product of 60% enriched uranium".

Interpol, based in Lyon, France, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The announcement also marks a significant escalation after the attack this past weekend that damaged centrifuges at Natanz that is suspected of having been carried out by Israel.

Iran has begun enriching a small amount of uranium up to 60% purity, its highest level ever, in response amid talks in Vienna aimed at saving its tattered nuclear deal with world powers.

Diplomats from the six countries participating told expert-level working groups on sanctions-lifting and nuclear issues "to continue their activities on Saturday afternoon, Sunday and next week" to make further progress, Russian representative Mikhail Ulyanov tweeted.

Iran's deputy foreign minister said the talks had entered a new phase, adding that Iran had proposed draft agreements that could be a basis for negotiations.

"The enrichment of uranium to 60 percent is underway" in Natanz, he was quoted by Tasnim news agency as saying. The talks are aimed at determining which sanctions the United States should lift and the measures Iran has to take in order to rein in Tehran's nuclear program.

An annual USA intelligence report released on Tuesday maintained the American assessment that "Iran is not now undertaking the key nuclear weapons-development activities that we judge would be necessary to produce a nuclear device".

"We do not support, and do not think it's at all helpful, that Iran is saying it's going to move to enrich to 60%". However, the Islamic Republic now has no such ships in its navy.

The 2015 accord between Iran and six nations - Germany, China, France, Russia, the United Kingdom and the United States - is now under discussion among representatives in Vienna. On Friday, European Union spokesperson Peter Stano called Iran's decision "a very worrisome development".

Share