Indianapolis mayor calls for national action on gun laws after FedEx shooting

Indianapolis: Multiple people shot at FedEx site, gunman dead

A gunman killed at least eight people at a FedEx facility in the mid-western USA city of Indianapolis before turning the gun on himself in the latest in a string of mass shootings in the country, authorities said on Friday. "A lot of them are trying to face this, because this is a sight that no one should have to see", Cook said.

Officers with the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department were called around 11 p.m.

Police have not identified the shooter or said whether he was an employee at the facility.

Police spokeswoman Genae Cook told reporters that officers were called to an "active shooter incident" at around 11pm.

The massacre is the most recent in a series of United States mass shootings that has again pushed the issue of gun violence to the political foreground.

The FedEx Indianapolis hub, which employs more than 4,500 team members, is the second-largest hub in the company's global network, a representative told the IndyStar, part of the USA TODAY Network, in March.

"Too many Americans are dying every single day from gun violence".

WXIN-TV station quoted Parminder Singh, the uncle of one of the victims, as saying that his niece who worked at the facility near the airport phoned him shortly after the shooting and told him that she was shot while in her vehicle and was being taken to the hospital.

McCartt said that he could not say what the motive for Hole's rampage was. "It stains our character and pierces the very soul of our nation".

Police have named Brandon Scott Hole, 19, of IN, as the alleged shooter who opened fire at a FedEx facility IN Indianapolis that left at least eight people dead and several more injured, according to reports.

At the end of last month, four people, including a child, were shot dead in an office building in southern California.

Friday also marked the 14th anniversary of the deadliest school shooting in USA history at Virginia Tech, which saw 32 people killed. Two others were treated at the scene.

"It's certainly been a night of uncertainty and frustration for those families, and I think that frustration was exacerbated by the fact that numerous employees did not have cell phones on them in the facility", the Indianapolis officer said.

Some said employees were not allowed to have their phones with them while working shifts at the facility, making it hard to contact them. "What I ended up doing was ducking down to make sure he did not see me because I thought he would see me and he would shoot me".

Following the incident, US President Joe Biden ordered the national flag to be flown half-staff at the White House and all federal buildings. Her daughter, Jessica, works in the facility and she had not heard from her.

"My friend's mother, she came in and told us to get inside the auto. I immediately ducked down and got scared", Jeremiah Miller said. Other injured people took themselves to hospitals in the area, she added.