ICU admissions in Ontario hit another COVID-19 pandemic record high
Apr 01 2021
Health officials also reported that 23 more people have died in Ontario due to COVID-19.
Ford earlier this week said he wouldn't hesitate to apply the emergency brake across the province, citing soaring case numbers. Dr. Adalsteinn Brown says entire families are being hospitalized at once.
Whether or not Toronto is going into another lockdown is on everyone's mind today as residents get wind of the news that Ontario Premier Doug Ford is making some sort of major announcement about pandemic restrictions on Thursday. "Even if we had unlimited ICU capacity, allowing these (variants of concern) to spread exponentially is unethical".
"I don't mean to use strong language but that is a place where clinicians need to make hard decisions that we'd never want them to have to make, where you will see loss of life and where you will see the sorts of challenges that we've seen in Northern Italy, that we've seen in NY, that we've seen in other jurisdictions where the hospitals are filled up".
Thursday's report brings the total number of lab-confirmed cases in Ontario to 352,460, including deaths and recoveries.
According to CBC News, the sources said the restrictions will be similar to the Grey-Lockdown level of Ontario's COVID-19 response framework.
COVID-19 admissions to the province's intensive care units have soared to 421 people in the ICU units. Essential stores will remain open at 50 percent capacity and non-essential retail, including shopping malls, can operate at 25 percent capacity, reports CTV News Toronto. That drops to 39 per cent for people age 75 to 79 and 16 per cent for those 70 to 74.
Although COVID-19 cases are rising in communities, Brown said schools should be the last service to close because of its damaging effects.
Schools are scheduled to continue normally next week, though the province has not yet decided what will happen after the spring break, which takes place the week of April 12, the sources said.