Research

George Floyd's family settles wrongful death suit with Minneapolis for $27 million

Share
George Floyd

Lawyers for Floyd's family said the agreed sum is the "largest pre-trial settlement in a civil rights wrongful death case in U.S. history". "This is just one step on the journey to justice", Crump said.

Philonise Floyd says his late brother George is "here with me in my heart".

The charge accompanies the second-degree murder and manslaughter charges Chauvin already faced in Floyd's death last May, when Chauvin was seen on video kneeling on Floyd's neck for more than nine minutes as Floyd cried out that he couldn't breathe.

Graffiti artist Akse spray paints a mural of George Floyd in Manchester's northern quarter on June 03, 2020 in Manchester, United Kingdom.

The settlement includes $500,000 to the neighborhood in which Floyd was killed.

The incident was captured on a bystander's smartphone showing the 46-year-old Black man crying for help while being pinned under Chauvin's knee.

City Council President Lisa Bender choked up as she addressed a news conference about the settlement, saying she knew "no amount of money" could bring Floyd back.

The other three officers are due to go on trial later this year on charges of aiding and abetting Chauvin in Floyd's death, which was ruled a homicide by the medical examiner.

Defense attorney Nelson has said that Chauvin is not guilty because he acted in self-defense in restraining Floyd and used reasonable and authorized force as a police officer.

Floyd died in the custody of Minneapolis police last May. It also sought a receiver to be appointed to ensure that the city properly trains and supervises officers in the future.

"That the largest pre-trial settlement in a wrongful death case ever would be for the life of a Black man sends a powerful message that Black lives do matter and police brutality against people of color must end", Crump said.

Seven jurors have been selected so far for the case and seven more need to be chosen in upcoming days.

Meanwhile, another potential juror was dismissed Friday after she acknowledged having a negative view of the defendant.

But legal observers questioned if publicity over the settlement, which came on day four of jury selection, could result in a possible mistrial.

"I could only watch part of the video, and from what I saw as a human, I, that did not give me a good impression", she said.

Jury selection resumed later on Thursday, and a sixth juror was seated: a man who said he was addicted to true-crime podcasts. Three of those seated are white, one is multiracial, one is Hispanic, and one is Black, according to Hennepin County Judge Peter Cahill.

It could take as long as three weeks to pick 12 jurors and up to four alternates, with opening arguments in the case not expected to start before March 29.

Share