China border: Satellite images show buildup at site of deadly clash
Jun 28 2020
"As regards transgression of LAC, it was clearly stated that the violence in Galwan on 15 June arose because Chinese side was seeking to erect structures just across the LAC and refused to desist from such actions", the PMO had clarified, adding that "there was no Chinese presence on our side of the LAC pertained to the situation as a effect of the bravery of our armed forces".
Earlier today former Home Minister P Chidambaram tweeted satellite images showing the difference in build-up of Chinese forces along the LAC.
'Peace and tranquility in the border areas is the basis of our bilateral relationship, ' said Srivastava, demanding that China follow up on its pledge to cool tensions.
"Satellite imagery from the Galwan Valley on June 22nd shows that "disengagement" really isn't the word that the (Indian) Government should be using", he said in a post on Twitter.
But he did note that after India started to establish new positions in the Galwan Valley in May, China moved about a thousand troops into the area.
The Centre on Thursday said that China had been "amassing" troops and armaments along the LAC for almost two months. "The Chinese side needs to stop creating obstruction and hindrances in the normal patrolling patterns of the Indian troops".
The incident in the Galwan valley on June 15 that saw multiple casualties on both sides is the most severe clash between the two nuclear powers since the Second Sino-Indian War in 1967.
The situation in the four flash points - Galwan Valley, Hot Springs, Depsang and Pangong Lake - in Eastern Ladakh is still tense despite military-level talks between India and China ending on a positive trajectory.
Addressing reporters, Anurag Srivastava, Ministry of External Affairs spokesperson, said that following the altercation, ground commanders took all necessary steps as per the protocol to reduce the tension.
"Whatever activities we may be carrying out have always been on our side of the LAC so the Chinese need to stop activities to alter the status quo".
On the 19th of June the Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi meanwhile gave a clear warning to China that ' his country wants peace but knows how to defend its border ' and added ' he has given free reign to Indian forces to tackle any situation '.
Srivastava said Thursday that "both sides remain deployed in large numbers in the region, while military and diplomatic contacts are continuing".
China appears to have added new structures near the site of a deadly border clash with India in the western Himalayas, fresh satellite pictures show, heightening concerns about further flare-ups between the nuclear-armed neighbours.
"They have been patrolling all along the LAC, including in the Galwan valley, for a long time".
Indian military sources have also released images of nail-studded clubs which they say were used by Chinese forces in the clashes.
TOI reported extensively on the state of the conflict and the situation on the border, along with perspective on the policies of the then Nehru-led Indian government, India's determination to push back, and China's designs and the blowback they met with.