World Media

California sends quake response experts to Puerto Rico

Share
Enlarge this image

The quake was the latest of a series of seismic events since the island was hit by a 6.4 magnitude tremor on Tuesday, shutting down the complete power infrastructure and leading to Gov. Wanda Vazquez Garced calling a state of emergency for the USA commonwealth.

The quake's epicentre was southeast of Maria Antonia, on the island's southwest coast, according to USGS.

Puerto Rico has been struck by more than 1,200 earthquakes over the past two weeks. Reporter David Begnaud tweeted that camps set up by the Puerto Rico National Guard, which will house upwards of 500 evacuees each, are going up in five affected cities.

More than 4,000 people have been in emergency shelters, many fear of returning to their homes, and others who are unable to do so due to significant damage.

Across the island, public schools are closed and will not reopen until inspections take place.

A 4.6 magnitude quake also hit the southern coast of Puerto Rico earlier on Friday.

Vazquez is seeking a USA government disaster statement to release more federal funds.

The U.S. Geological Service (USGS) said that the natural disaster took place at 8:54 am of local time and was about 13 kilometers southeast of Guanica, which is a town on the island's southern Caribbean coastline.

The island declared a state of emergency after the quake and its roughly 3 million citizens are still recovering from the hurricanes that wreaked havoc in 2017. The governor also asked the federal government for more money to assist in the recovery effort, but Trump has not yet signed the major disaster declaration.

Gov. Gavin Newsom said the deployment comes in response to the Puerto Rican government's request for assistance.

"The real motivation for withholding these dollars is Donald Trump's disdain for the people of Puerto Rico and heartless disregard for their suffering", Velazquez told Daily News.

Share