World Media

24-hour curfew declared in Africa's biggest city

Protesters at the #EndSARS protest in Lagos Nigeria

The protests began almost two weeks ago with calls for a much-hated police unit, the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (Sars), to be disbanded.

Nigeria's police chief has ordered the nationwide deployment of anti-riot officers to quell violence following protests against police brutality.

For Lagos State 24 hour curfew for all parts of di state starting take effect from 4pm today.

Thousands of Nigerians calling for an end to alleged brutality and for law enforcement reforms have taken to the streets every day for more than a week across the country, posing a challenge to President Muhammadu Buhari.

The protesters have vowed that they will not leave the streets until they begin to see government implement some of their demands.

Anger over abuses by the police's loathed Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) had in recent days broadened into a movement against bad governance more broadly.

Vanguard had reported earlier that men in military uniform were shooting at the protesters, who had remained at the toll gate after Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State had declared a 24-hour curfew.

Lagos, a city of 20 million people, has been paralysed during the protests in which key roads as well as access to the worldwide airport have been blocked. And na only essential workers and front ine responders go fit dey road afta di curfew.

Governor Sanwo-Olu, who noted that the protest has been hijacked, said the government will not watch and allow anarchy in Lagos state.

The decision was announced on Tuesday, October 20, in a series of tweets by the Lagos state governor following repeated attacks by thugs which led to the burning and destruction of Apapa-Igamu police station. Amnesty International said at least 15 people had been killed since the protests began. Armed gangs have attacked protesters in Lagos and the capital Abuja. At the last count, 1,993 inmates were missing, he said Tuesday.

Authorities had also imposed a curfew in Benin City on Monday after the prisons were attacked.