Business

Will Bill O'Reilly survive advertiser defections?

Share

Fox News host Bill O'Reilly is facing backlash following a New York Times report revealing that he and Fox News' parent company, 21st Century Fox, have paid a total of almost $13 million to avoid lawsuits pertaining to reports of sexual harassment and other misconduct by O'Reilly. The paper reported that Fox and O'Reilly personally have paid out $13 million in return for the silence of six women who said they were his victims.

As outrage grows over the sexual harassment accusations surrounding Fox News host Bill O'Reilly, 62 advertisers have now pulled their commercials from the pundit's popular show, The O'Reilly Factor.

Just seven advertisements ran on Thursday's "The O'Reilly Factor" on Fox News after almost 60 companies this week reportedly dropped their sponsorships of the highly rated prime-time program.

A Fox News spokesperson referred TPM to 21st Century Fox for comment.

Once the congresswoman started, it was hard to stop her rant about O'Reilly and the allegations that have been leveled against him.

"He's really a holy grail for advertisers", said one on-air personality at a rival network.

Earlier this week, the New York Times revealed that Ailes is the target of yet another sexual harassment suit, this time from contributor Julie Roginsky, accusing him of urging her to date and have drinks with older men (like Ailes). Although it's important that advertisers hold O'Reilly and Fox News accountable, they should not treat this situation as an isolated "scandal" and satisfy themselves with reallocating ads elsewhere on the network. O'Reilly has also edged the surging Maddow in the key 25-54 demographic that advertisers covet most two of three days this week.

Trump in an interview with New York Times, disapproved of settlements paid to the women saying O'Reilly din't do anything wrong.

Lisa Bloom, an attorney for one of the women who accused O'Reilly of sexual harassment, is calling for an independent investigation into the network.

In all, more than 20 women reportedly spoke with the attorneys in voicing complaints about Ailes alleged inappropriate behavior.

Now the group Sleeping Giants, which has been leading a campaign to encourage companies to stop advertising on Breitbart.com, launched an O'Reilly boycott as well.

Attempting to defend his friend, President Trump said he felt O'Reilly shouldn't have settled the cases of sexual harassment against him and that he felt that O'Reilly was innocent. "You can't go after a woman's looks", she said.

In a statement on Tuesday, Fox reported that the ads from those companies will be moved to air during other programs, which means there is unlikely to be a big loss in profit to the network.

Share