Business

Turkey's Erdogan declares state of emergency for three months after coup bid

Share

"The cleansing is continuing".

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has announced a three-month state of emergency to enable the authorities to take swift and effective action against those responsible for last weekend's failed military coup. But the move consolidates more power in the president's hands, allowing him to rule by decree. "It's not limited to security forces and armed forces traditionally involved in a coup d'etat".

He has previously denied accusations he engineered the coup attempt last Friday night.

Turkish cleric and opponent to the Erdogan regime Fethullah Gülen addresses at his residence in Saylorsburg, Pennsylvania on July 18, 2016 allegations by the Turkish government about his involvement in the attempted July 15 coup. "If there were accurate intelligence they could prevent the attempt", Erdogan said. He described a "virus" within the Turkish military and state institutions that had spread like "cancer".

He made the announcement in a live television broadcast in front of government ministers after a meeting of the National Security Council that lasted almost five hours on Wednesday.

Steinmeier said Thursday that it's important that "the rule of law, a sense of proportion and commensurability are preserved" and that it's in Turkey's interest to "keep the state of emergency only for the duration that is absolutely necessary and then immediately end it".

Turkey has also banned religious funerals for those accused of supporting the coup.

The Defence Ministry is investigating all military judges and prosecutors, and has suspended 262 of them, broadcaster NTV reported, while 900 police officers in the capital, Ankara, were also suspended on Wednesday.

The education ministry said it chose to close 626 private schools and other establishments that are under investigation for "crimes against the constitutional order and the running of that order", the state-run Anadolu news agency reported.

A Turkish parliament security man stands guard next to the broken yellow copper doors laid on the ground at the entrance of the assembly hall at the parliament building which was attacked by the Turkish warplanes during the failed military coup last Friday.

The military has long seen itself as the guardian of secularism in this mostly Muslim country and has staged a series of coups in past decades, but its power has been gradually diminished.

The crunch meetings come as controversy grows over the scope of the legal crackdown against those behind the coup plot. In Washington, the State Department confirmed that Washington did receive some "materials" from Ankara, but that it is working with the Justice Department to review and analyze "whether they constitute a formal extradition request".

Erdogan had earlier suggested in an interview with the Al-Jazeera TV network that the coup plotters might still be active in the coming weeks.

In order to change the constitution without a referendum, Erdogan's party will need support from 367 members in Turkey's 550-seat parliament, Cavusoglu said.

They had a list of suspects of possible Gulen movement members. A government official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the announcement has yet to be made public, also said military reforms could be proposed.

The Turkish president said he believed foreign countries might have been involved in the failed coup attempt, though he declined to name any.

But despite the rising tensions in recent days, the Turkish president said Ankara must continue its solidarity with America - and insisted the issue of Mr Gulen's extradition needs to be separated from the Pentagon's use of Incirlik airbase in the fight against Islamic State.

On his alleged asylum request to Germany, he adds that he has been al those days to Turkey and that this is "out of the question, it is made up, it is fake news" from those that "are trying to portray Erdoğan at a hard position".

Share