Trump's speculation on London attack 'unhelpful,' British officials say
Sep 17 2017
U.S. President Donald Trump's suggestion that London police could have done more to prevent a homemade bomb explosion drew speedy pushback Friday from British Prime Minister Theresa May.
US President Donald Trump has tweeted that terrorists' internet should be "cut off" and "use [d] better" in the wake of an explosion in London that saw dozens injured.
She dismissed the speculative tweet from Trump that claimed Scotland Yard had the so-called "bucket bomber" in terror attack on a London Underground train in their "sights".
At the time Trump sent the tweets, no suspects had been arrested in connection to the incident, despite the president mentioned "people who were in the sights of Scotland Yard".
He said: "The last thing I'd like to say about the investigation is that during the course of the day there has been some uninformed speculation on social media and from journalists and I would like to emphasise that is unhelpful as we try to pursue this fast-moving investigation".
The President used his third tweet about the attack to push his so-called Muslim travel ban in the United States, saying it should be "far larger, tougher and more specific".
May said those comments were irresponsible as police still comb for clues. "We have to be very smart and we have to be very, very tough - perhaps we're not almost tough enough", he told reporters at the White House.
Among his first actions after taking office in January was to order a ban on all citizens from seven Muslim-majority nations - Iran, Iraq, Yemen, Syria, Sudan, Libya and Somalia from entering the USA for 90 days and all refugees for 180 days, later struck down by the courts.
London Mayor Sadiq Khan criticized Trump for the tweets and called on the British government to rescind an invitation for the president to visit the country. Must be proactive & nasty!' We need the courts to give us back our rights.
Israeli officials also condemned the terror attack. The 90-day travel ban on visitors from Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen lapses in late September, and the 120-day refugee ban will expire a month later.