Trump working with China to get ZTE 'back into business'
May 14 2018
Trump said in a Sunday morning tweet, posted minutes after arriving at his golf course in Virginia, that he and Chinese leader Xi Jinping are working together to give ZTE "a way to get back into business, fast".
Lewis said that with companies like Huawei and ZTE facing obstacles in the United States, "American companies see the opening to the China market closing more rapidly than they might have thought". The Defense Department last month ordered military exchanges to end the sale of ZTE phones on US bases.
The announcement was met with some criticism based on the concerns about cybersecurity and an underlying mistrust of the Chinese government, which Trump responded to in another tweet less than five hours later.
Trump announced on Twitter he is working with the Chinese government and ordered the U.S. Department of Commerce to find a way to help the company continue to operate after a U.S. trade ban imposed last month that's cut into its revenue.
In 2016 the Obama administration announced that it was punishing the company for its alleged sanctions violations by restricting the sale of key USA exports to ZTE, but weeks later it suspended the punishment after the telecom equipment maker agreed to work with US authorities.
President Donald Trump said Sunday he has instructed his Commerce Department to help get a Chinese telecommunications company "back into business" after the United States government cut off access to its American suppliers. That meeting is expected to be held in Washington this week or next.
As a result of the ban, the Shenzhen-based group will be unable to access Qualcomm processors and Android devices with Google Mobile Services software.
It also doesn't align with recent events.
Its highly unusual for a president to personally intervene in a regulatory matter and could undercut the leverage of Treasury and Commerce officials seeking to enforce sanctions and trade rules.
Several U.S. intelligence agencies have warned against buying ZTE and Huawei phones.
Jobs in China are at risk, he said.
He said it is probable that "after many months of negotiations, China will give the U.S. a series of concessions, including some things they had already agreed to and some of which were promises they had given before".
None of the other companies could immediately be reached for comment.
But there have been tenisions on other issues with both countries threatening each other with trade tariffs.
He returned to the topic more than five hours later by blasting past trade agreements between the two countries.
Earlier, ZTE had pleaded guilty to the original charges and agreed to pay US$892 million in fines.
ZTE is one of the world's biggest telecommunications equipment makers.
The company incited a seven-year moratorium on purchases from us suppliers for violating a 2017 sanctions settlement and then lying about it.
But U.S. officials said this year that ZTE didn't discipline all the employees involved in the violations. "This egregious behavior can not be ignored", Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said in April.
"Chinese officials raised the issue of the ban last week during a visit to China by a U.S. trade delegation", the daily reported. That's a key technology battle between the USA and China - and one that China has a chance to win. Recently, the company had announced that it has made a decision to more than double its investment for the Research & Development compared to what it spent on the same a year ago.