Tony Ferguson wins wild scrap as broken hand ends Anthony Pettis' night

Minka Kelly

UFC Heavyweight fighter Derrick Lewis on Sunday left the crowd at T-Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, shocked as he went on to knock out Alexander Volkov with six seconds remaining on the clock. Formiga and Pettis had the first relatively uneventful fight on an undercard that included five stoppage victories in its seven bouts. Fans expected that a good showing by "Showtime" could have ended hopes for the title opportunity that Ferguson had.

As the fighters went to their corners, Pettis' head coach Duke Roufus asked his fighter if he wanted to continue as the cutman cleaned copious amounts of blood from his head and face.

"Where you at McNuggets you [expletive]!" Pettis told his coach that his hand was broken and Roufus made a decision to tell the referee that the fight was over. Again. Body kick and right hand for Pettis, who seems fluid, while Ferguson looks uncomfortable.

The victory and his status as a former champion have propelled Pettis into a golden opportunity against Tony Ferguson on Saturday night.

Pettis attempted to get the finish but Ferguson did a masterful job of holding on until he could regain his composure.

Ferguson with another strike and Pettis backs up across the cage. Anthony Pettis is bleeding, but the fight will be continued!

El Cucuy on the top raining punches on the ground.

Pettis stands, they're back to their feet and time is called. Right punch Pettis. More pressure from Ferguson who keeps his hands low. Pettis firing back, but Ferguson sees them coming and slips out of the way, countering. Defeating Ferguson would give him a complete swing in momentum to now being on the short list for a title shot. Ferguson was able to hold on until the fight was stopped to attend to him.

Ferguson brought to tears after earning the win.

However, his absence meant he was stripped of both the featherweight and lightweight crowns, with Nurmagomedov succeeding McGregor as top dog in the latter division.