Saudi-led strikes hit defence ministry in Yemen capital
Nov 13 2017
"The EU urges the Coalition to ensure the immediate resumption of the U.N.'s flights and activities in the ports of Hodeida and Saleef and the opening of land borders for humanitarian relief and basic commercial commodities", Christos Stylianides said on Saturday.
According to media reports, the airstrikes hit a residential area near the ministry of defence building, which had been targeted just before. "Everyone was afraid. Minutes later, another strike hit my neighbour's house", resident Mohammed Aatif said.
He said the strike destroyed his neighbour's house, leaving an enormous crater, and damaged others. The casualty toll could rise as rescuers search through the rubble for survivors.
The Saudi-led military coalition carried out two air strikes on the defence ministry in Yemen´s rebel-held capital Sanaa late Friday, witnesses said, cited by AFP.
Saudi Arabia has blamed the Iran-allied Houthis for firing a ballistic missile towards Riyadh airport on Nov 4. "It will be the largest starvation the world has seen for many decades, with millions of victims".
The world body has listed Yemen as the world's number one humanitarian crisis, with 17 million people in need of food, of whom seven million are at risk of starvation. Medical experts also warn that the blockade will worsen the country's cholera outbreak, which has affected nearly 1 million people.
The Houthis, fighters drawn mainly from Yemen's Zaidi Shia minority and allied to long-serving former president Ali Abdullah Saleh, control much of Yemen including the capital San'aa.
Yemen's defenseless people have been under massive attacks by the coalition for more than two and half years but Riyadh has reached none of its objectives in Yemen so far.