Saudi crown prince talks with Qatari emir on Gulf crisis
Sep 11 2017
Saudi analysts believe the Qatar's move to get the US president involved in the ongoing crisis is opposite to what the Saudis have intended for solving the crisis among Arab nations.
The call also comes after Kuwait's emir, who so far has been unsuccessful in mediating the dispute, met Thursday in the White House with President Donald Trump, who himself offered to arbitrate.
Saudi foreign ministry confirmed that the talks will be frozen until Qatar comes out with a clear stand while accusing the agency of publishing a baseless report on the phone conversation.
Emir of the state of Qatar Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani addresses the general debate of the 71st Session of the United Nations General Assembly at U.N. headquarters in New York City on September 20, 2016.
"But rather a crisis with numerous Arab and Islamic nations, which announced their position on Qatar's meddling in their affairs and its support for terrorism", the statement says.
The President also stressed the importance of defeating terrorism by cutting off funding and preventing the spread of their extremist ideology.
"The President underscored that unity among the United States' Arab partners is essential to promoting regional stability and countering the threat of Iran", the White House said.
The White House released its readout of the call after Qatar's ambassador to the USA said the country would donate $30 million to help Texans recover from Harvey.
"We are ready for the continuation of the crisis with Qatar... we will decide whether there are other sanctions on Doha, according to the circumstances", he said.
According to the report, Trump stepped into the fray in the past week, offering to mediate in the Qatari-Saudi conflict and vowing a quick victory. "Therefore, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia announces halting any dialogue or contact with Qatar".
"I would be willing to do so, and I think you'd have a deal worked out very quickly", he said.
During these meetings (in Jeddah and Amman), the sides will discuss in detail the current condition and prospects of consolidating Russia's diverse relations with Saudi Arabia and Jordan, the spokesperson noted. Still, the dispute has dragged on for more than three months, even after Tillerson shuttled between the parties in July and dispatched two other US envoys to bolster the 88-year-old Kuwaiti emir's initiative. As the dispute has dragged on, the administration has dispatched other US envoys to bolster the 88-year-old Kuwaiti emir's initiative.
He expressed hope that "a great part of them will be resolved". Although Qatar has rejected some of them out of hand, Sheikh Sabah said he believed negotiations were possible.
The Saudi Press Agency (SPA) made the announcement an hour after reporting a phone call between leaders of the two countries in an effort to resolve the dispute between Qatar and the quartet of Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Egypt and the United Arab Emirates.