World Media

Pakistan Prevents US Diplomat From Leaving the Country

Pakistan Prevents US Diplomat From Leaving the Country

Mohammad Idrees, Ateeq's father, had filed a petition through his counsel Shahzad Akbar for placement of the diplomat's name on ECL.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity as they were not authorized to brief reporters.

A letter sent to the U.S. Embassy in Islamabad says the restrictions will be implemented Friday.

A USA diplomat involved in a fatal road accident in Pakistan was not allowed to leave the country today, officials said, a day after Islamabad imposed "reciprocal" restrictions on the movement of American envoys after Washington took similar measures.

In what the Times described as retaliation, Pakistan placed travel restrictions on U.S. diplomats based in the country in a sign of worsening relations between the two countries.

The US representatives waited for four hours at the Pakistani airbase but the FIA officials did not allow Hall to leave the country as his name was put on the blacklist by the Ministry of Interior. The move comes after the US required Pakistani diplomats to get permission five days in advance to travel more than 25 miles from their embassy.

An Islamabad court has ruled that Hall's diplomatic immunity does not protect him in the case of the April 7 accident, in which Hall's vehicle struck a 22-year-old motorcycle driver, killing him.

American diplomats have long complained about harassment from police and security officials in Pakistan, who repeatedly get stopped and ticketed for petty offenses that take valuable time and energy to resolves.

"This is a development that could well develop into a full-blown crisis for relations if it's not resolved soon", said Michael Kugelman, a South Asia specialist at the Woodrow Wilson Center in Washington.

Pakistani authorities have barred a USA diplomat involved in a fatal traffic accident from leaving the country, forcing an American military aircraft flown in for his departure to leave without him, local media reported on Saturday.

Sources aware of the developments told The Nation that the United States special plane (C-130) had landed at the airport on Saturday morning but the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) prevented Col Hall to leave the country as he was not having clearance from the relevant quarters.

'My son will never come back and we will consult with our relatives and village community before negotiating the agreement.

"We have also informed the US Embassy that he can not fly out of the country following the court orders", he further said.