World Media

New Zealand mosque attack death toll rises to 50

Share
Jacinda Ardern said the gunman a 28-year-old Australian obtained a gun licence in November 2017 Attacks on two Christchurch mosques left at least 49 dead on March 15 with one gunman- identified as an Australian extremist- apparently livestreaming

"He had a big gun.He came and started shooting everyone in the mosque, everywhere", said the man, Ahmad Al-Mahmoud.

The video footage showed a man driving to the mosque, entering it and shooting randomly at people present inside.

Forty-nine people have been confirmed dead in the terrorist attack, and 39 people remain in hospital, 11 in intensive care. Twelve of them are critical. A critically injured 4-year-old girl was also brought to Christchurch Hospital then transferred to an Auckland hospital, according to Greg Robertson, chief of surgery at the Christchurch hospital.

Tarrant has been remanded in custody until April 5, when he will appear again before the High Court in Christchurch. "Prayers go out to the victims and families whose lives have forever changed because of this senseless attack".

Security at London mosques was hiked up yesterday after the New Zealand attacker said he was inspired by events in the United Kingdom and wanted Muslim London mayor Sadiq Kahn dead.

Of the 49 victims, only a small number have so far been identified.

At first, Mr Taylor and his colleagues had no idea what was happening, initially believing the alarms, sirens and general panic sweeping through the New Zealand city were signs of another quake, similar to the 6.2-level seismic disaster that destroyed massive swathes of the city in 2011.

For an Islamic funeral burial is traditionally within 24 hours of death.

Flowers and signs are pictured at a memorial as a tribute to victims of the mosque attacks, near a police line outside Masjid Al Noor in Christchurch, New Zealand, March 17, 2019.

Mr Nabi said his father, who ran the Afghan Association, was killed as he tried to save another person from the gunman.

Ardern confirmed that the suspected gunman had not been on the radar of any intelligence agencies for extremism

"But I can't say any more than that", said Bush at a Christchurch press conference on Saturday.

In what appeared to be the worst attack against Muslims in a western country, witnesses spoke of victims being shot at close range, with women and children believed to be among those killed. Police said more charges would follow.

Two men were filmed brandishing what appears to be hammers during a street altercation in London before one jumps on the bonnet of a auto, with broken windows, as it drives off.

It is understood he spent his childhood in Grafton, in regional NSW, in what he described as a fairly normal upbringing.

Another person who was earlier arrested was said to be a member of the public carrying a firearm who was trying to help.

"He never showed any extremes or extremist views or any insane behaviour". The suspect may also have traveled to other countries in Europe, Asia and Africa, the official added.

Ardern assured them that ACC payments were available for lost income - many of those killed were the primary money-earners in their families - and funeral costs, and that local authorities were working to provide facilities for gathering and worship while the mosques were not allowed to be used.

"Immediately, all of us who were working knew something really bad was happening, a lot of the guys thought it was a repeat of the big quake from a few years ago, because with all the alarms and sirens going off there was the same sort of terrified atmosphere".

The attack led to an outpouring of grief and shock that a white-supremacist fanatic could carry out a terrorist attack on such a scale in a country widely regarded as one of the world's most peaceful.

Share