Entertainment

Medical examiner confirms cause of Prince's death as 'self-administered fentanyl'

Share

Police have confirmed that Prince's official cause of death was an opioid overdose. "While this remains an ongoing investigation, we will have no further comment". The superstar musician was found dead April the 21st at his Minneapolis estate.

He was also found with an opioid medication at the time of his death.

Whether Fentanyl had been prescribed to Prince is unclear; but its extreme potency is usually prescribed to patients who have become tolerant of other opioids for pain relief.

The full autopsy and toxicology reports will not be released publicly, the office told CNN. He tells a detective that he was there to give the test results and that he had prescribed medications that were brought from Walgreen's pharmacy.

Gal Pissetzky also explains that categorizing the death as accidental indicates only that it was not intentional. And continued narcotic painkiller use after joint replacement surgery is more common than previously believed, said researcher Jenna Goesling, from the University of MI in Ann Arbor.

In March past year, the US Drug and Enforcement Administration (DEA) warned the drug, which it said was often laced with heroin, was a "threat to health and public safety".

One of Prince's half-siblings said that the singer used the drug to help him manage the difficulties that came with his job as a performer, indicating that it wasn't for recreational use. One week prior to his death, he had made an emergency stop in Moline, Illinois when he was flying back from an Atlanta concert.

Dickerson maintained a close relationship with Prince and he spoke to the icon over the phone three weeks before his April 21st death.

On Friday, Andrew Kornfeld broke his silence in a guest column for CNN about the traumatizing moment he found the iconic artist unconscious in his Minnesota home. It was not immediately clear if Kornfeld is the subject of a separate investigation.

 

 

Share