World Media

Man fighting for life after bite from decapitated rattle snake

Share
The man beheaded it with a shovel but he soon found out how dangerous a dead snake can

When he tried to dispose of the snake, the snake's head bit him, pumping all the venom it had into him, Sutcliffe said. A California man who was bitten trying to take a selfie with a rattlesnakes got a $153,000 medical bill, with antivenom accounting for $83,000 of it, the Washington Post reported in 2015.

After the bite, the man started having seizures, lost his vision, and suffered internal bleeding. She couldn't get to the hospital quickly enough, so she met up with an ambulance. "He was saying stuff like 'if I die I love you, '" she said.

Because the head was severed from the body, the reptile is believed to have released an extremely large amount of deadly venom into her husband's hand. While a normal person gets 2 to 4 doses of venom, the victim here had to get 26 doses, that should explain the severity of the case.

Jeremy came out of his coma last Thursday and is now in stable condition, Jennifer said.

The key to surviving a snakebite, says Halpert, is to get medical help immediately if not sooner; nearly all victims of fatal snakebites in recent years died, at least in part, because they either refused medical treatment or didn't get it soon enough.

Doctors say if you are bitten by a snake, do not bring it to the emergency room.

And no matter how many times you've seen some roo head do it in a Hollywood movie, don't attempt to suck the venom from the wound. According to reports, the man from Texas required 26 doses of anti-venom after the snakebite.

Dying from a snake bite is rare, Michael Halpert, a trauma surgeon in Corpus Christi, told KIII. Experts advise that it's far better to retreat indoors and call more experienced handlers from animal-control, the local police or the fire department to safely remove the snake.

Share