Life returns to normal after truck attack in Nice, France
Jul 21 2016
"Even if these words are hard to say, it's my duty to do so: There will be other attacks, and there will be other innocent people killed", Valls told French lawmakers.
According to the report, Bouhlel attacked the driver with a "roughly one-metre (three-foot) long board, which was broken at one end, leaving two nails visible".
An Albanian suspected of providing the driver with the pistol was arrested in Nice on Sunday.
After seven hours of fraught debate into the night, during which the opposition accused the government of being lax on security, the lower house of parliament voted by 489 to 26 to prolong the state of emergency for a further six months.
As investigators continue to look into the attacker's motives, his uncle in Tunisia, Sadok Bouhlel, told The Associated Press his nephew had been indoctrinated about two weeks ago by an Algerian member of the Islamic State group in Nice.
"But I want to say, because it's the truth, that everything that should have been done over the last 18 months... wasn't done", he said, without proposing what could have been done better.
Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the Nice attack, although no firm evidence has yet emerged that the 31-year-old attacker had direct contact with the group.
Late Monday evening, mourners formed a human chain to remove candles, flowers and other mementos honoring the victims of the attack, in which Tunisian Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel drove through crowds watching fireworks.
The ministry did not name the three in its statement Saturday, but said they were a family of a husband, wife and child.
He had scouted out the promenade before the attack, CCTV footage showed, and he is said to have sent texts to possible accomplices asking for more weapons.
She said Stratton can not speak and does not remember the attack, "which is better".
Mohamed Lahouaiej-Bouhlel gives the finger from inside the truck he used to commit terrorism.
Authorities investigate the truck that ploughed through Bastille Day revellers in the French resort city of Nice, France.
Tourists have returned to the promenade in Nice where scores of people were mown down in a lorry attack as it reopened amid the news France is to call up thousands of reserve forces to boost security.
After visiting victims in hospital in Nice, Hollande says the death toll has reached 84 and that about 50 are still fighting for their lives.
Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said on Saturday that the truck breached the security cordon "in a violent manner".
The attacker's father, who lives in Msaken, eastern Tunisia, said his son had suffered from depression and had "no links" to religion.
President Francois Hollande had planned to lift the emergency measures, but he changed tack following the attack in Nice which left 84 people dead.
Molins said Bouhlel had shown sudden signs of interest in hardline Islamist propaganda in the days before he ran amok but up to then had no record of radicalisation, noting that he ate pork, drank alcohol and engaged in "unbridled sexual activity".