Business

Ghana football head Kwesi Nyantakyi banned by Fifa over 'cash gift'

Share
Nyantakyi caught on camera

The GFA said it would cooperate with any investigation.

Ghana Football Association President Kwesi Nyantakyi resigned from his post on Friday after he was implicated in a bribery exposé.

David Prah argued that Kwesi Nyantakyi could not have mentioned the former President's name in his statement to the CID if he (Kwesi Nyantakyi) did not know what he was talking about.

President of the Ghana Football Association Kwesi Nyantakyi has been banned from all football-related activities for 90 days by an independent Ethics Committee of FIFA following the airing of investigations from Anas Aremeyaw Anas.

The two-hour documentary, "When Greed and Corruption Become the Norm", is the work of undercover journalist Anas Aremeyaw Anas and Wednesday's public viewing was the first since it was released to the authorities last month.

My decision is as a result of deliberations I have had with family and my associates.

Nyantakyi was filmed accepting $65,000 from undercover reporters from Tiger Eye PI, posing as investors interested in sponsoring the Ghana Premier League, in clear violation of FIFA's code of ethics, which bars members from accepting cash gifts.

Ghana's Sports Minister Isaac Asiama has stated that the association will be "dissolved with immediate effect", Ghana Web reports.

A press release from FIFA, yesterday, announced Nyantakyi's ban from all football-related activities at both national and worldwide levels, leaving him with no option than to resign.

"I am yet to recover from the shock - It's a sad day for Ghana football and I believe there's an urgent need to clean up our football administration", 42-year old soccer enthusiast Michael Blagogee told Reuters as he exited the auditorium holding his head.

"Government will soon announce provisional measures to govern football activity in the country until a new body is duly formed".

Ghana risks being suspended from the 2026 World Cup hosting vote next week, when it had been expected to vote for fellow African country Morocco against the joint bid of the United States, Canada and Mexico.

Ghana, who have played at three previous World Cups, missed out on the this year's tournament which starts in Russian Federation on June 14.

Share