World Media

Fordham University student dead in bell tower fall

Sydney Monfries

A 22-year-old college senior fell to her death in NY while climbing the stairs of an off-limits campus clock tower in the early hours of Sunday, authorities said.

She was with other seniors when she fell through an opening on the first landing of the tower, the paper reported. She fell 30 to 40 feet, suffering fatal injuries and dying later Sunday at a NY hospital. "Our hearts go out to Sydney's parents, her family and friends - theirs is an unimaginable loss, and we share their grief".

A mass was scheduled to be held for Monfries on Sunday evening at Fordham University Church.

President McShane said the school would award Monfries's bachelor's degree posthumously.

A senior at Fordham University died on Sunday after falling from a clock tower on campus.

When the student's vitals flatlined medics quickly decided it would be safer to hoist her out of the tower in a rescue basket, one responder riding with her to perform chest compressions.

A student who was injured when she fell from the Fordham University bell tower has died. "You have to ride the ram", Huang said of a statue of the university's mascot, which students climb on to take pictures.

After climbing the narrow staircase inside the tower, Monfries uploaded a video of the view to Snapchat, captioning it: 'Bell Tower, ' according to The New York Times.

"It's like a senior thing to go on the most popular building on campus", one student said.

Access to the tower is restricted, a university spokeswoman told the Times.

Monfries had allegedly been participating in a senior rite of passage. They're unlocked at night when they're cleaning. "But right now they're just trying to process this tremendous loss" while being "very appreciate of all the family and friends who've come around to support them", the friend said. "I think a large part of the reason people want to do this so badly is that the school doesn't allow it", said Patrick Burke, Fordham College at Rose Hill '14.

Police said that they were alerted to the incident, on the campus of Fordham University in the Bronx, at about 3:20 a.m. Sunday.