World Media

Five teenage girls die in escape room blaze in Poland

Share
A puzzling proposition inside an escape room

Initially described as a 25-year-old, the hospital said he was 26.

The bodies of the 15-year-old victims were found on Friday in Koszalin, northern Poland, after firefighters extinguished a blaze in an adjacent room.

Players in escape room games are locked inside a room or building and must solve puzzles and find clues that lead them to the key that will unlock the door.

The youngsters perished in the fire that is believed to have started around 5pm local time (4pm GMT), on Friday afternoon.

Polish state news agency PAP said it had learned unofficially that the girls died from carbon monoxide asphyxiation.

"Preliminary findings suggest that the fire was caused by an unsealed gas container inside a heater", Gasiorowski said.

Police secure a scene of a fire in Koszalin, Poland, 04 January 2019.

Interior Minister Joachim Brudziński said he ordered fire officials to conduct inspections on similar venues across the country.

Hundreds of people gathered yesterday to burn candles in their memory, and a formal "day of mourning" will take place in Koszalin today.

Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki has sent condolences to the victims' relatives.

President Andrzej Duda tweeted it was a "crushing tragedy" that five young girls died so early in their lives.

"Five joyful girls starting out in life have had life torn away from them", he wrote on Twitter.

Following the incident, police and fire service vehicles were pictured on a residential road near a detached house with an "escape room" sign outside. "May God protect their parents and loved ones".

Share