Sport

First Thailand boys rescued two weeks after being trapped in cave

Share
One of two ambulances leave the cave in northern Thailand hours after operation began to rescue the trapped soccer players and their coach

At a news conference Monday, former Chiang Rai governor Narongsak Osotthanakorn said the second rescue involved numerous same divers who brought the four boys out on Sunday.

Thai authorities sent Harris into the Tham Luang cave to swim to the trapped boys immediately upon his arrival at the site on Saturday. BBC News reports that they are in good health, but that the rescue efforts had to be stopped for 10 hours because rescue workers needed to replace oxygen tanks.

A source involved in the rescue mission who saw two of the four boys walk out of the cave told Reuters that they looked exhausted but healthy, adding that one even looked "vivacious and fresh".

A source at the Chiang Rai hospital said that five emergency response doctors were awaiting the boys and a further 30 doctors were on stand-by.

The toughest part of the route is a section at nearly halfway called "T-Junction", which due to its narrowness causes divers to remove their air tanks to fit through.

Four of the boys were rescued yesterday, but nine remain underground including their 25-year-old fooitball coach, Ekkapol Chantawong. Let's keep our fingers crossed that the team and their coach, and all those involved with the rescue will be out safely!

But phase two of the rescue is already underway, and may in fact be over by the time the sub arrives. Four others were extracted on Sunday.

The head of the rescue mission, Narongsak Osottanakorn, said that the "same multinational team" that went into the cave on Sunday to retrieve the first four boys was deployed on Monday.

Narongsak said more personnel were being used in the rescue on Monday.

The first four boys to be rescued were led out of the cave by an global team of rescue divers on Sunday.

Thirteen foreign divers and five members of Thailand's elite navy SEAL unit make up the main team guiding the boys to safety through narrow, submerged passageways that claimed the life of a former Thai navy diver on Friday.

Two divers accompanied each of the boys, all of whom have been learning to dive only since July 2, when the first searchers found them.

The soccer team seen in the cave last week, before anyone was rescued.

Narongsak said ahead of the rescue dive that recent mild weather and falling water levels had created optimal conditions for an underwater evacuation.

"I watch the news on my phone, my mom is watching on TV", said Chokumpompan, who graduated from the same school that six of the boys now attend, Mae Si Prasitsart School.

Elon Musk has offered his assistance and has floated plans to save the soccer team stranded in a Thai cave network. "But there are caves where. explorers could go in and be trapped by rising water during like a heavy rain and trapped in an air pocket", Brick said. Monsoon flooding blocked off their escape and prevented rescuers from finding them for nearly 10 days.

The ordeal has riveted Thailand and captured the world's attention.

Thai officials have been tight-lipped about the rescue operation, and would not comment on how many people were removed Monday.

Musk posted videos on Twitter of the aluminum sub being tested at a swimming pool Sunday midafternoon California time.

"The four children are fine".

However, it is unclear if the device is part of any current rescue plans.

Share