Entertainment

Entire Soccer Team Rescued From Flooded Cave In Thailand

Share
Thai Navy divers in Tham Luang cave during rescue operations for the 12 boys and their football team coach trapped in the cave at Khun Nam Nang Non Forest Park in the Mae Sai district of Chiang Rai province

"All the thirteen Wild Boars are now out of the cave", the Navy SEAL unit, which led the rescue, said on its Facebook page, adding all were safe.

It's been more than two weeks since the 12 boys and their soccer coach became trapped in the flooded Tham Luang cave at the Khun Nam Nang Non Forest Park in Chiang Rai. He was taken by helicopter and then ambulance to the hospital in Chiang Rai were the first four boys, who were rescued on Sunday, are now being held in quarantine as they undergo tests. The rescue mission took the life of 38-year-old volunteer Saman Gunan last Friday, a former Navy SEAL who died underwater after running out of air.

The last five were brought out of the cave on stretchers, one by one over the course of Tuesday, and taken by helicopter to hospital.

Four divers who stayed with the group were still to emerge.

He says they are all in strong condition.

They also celebrated when the last SEALs exited the cave safely today after all of the boys were rescued.

So far the group have been "kept away" from physical contact with their parents until the risk of infection is over and doctors have only allowed family and loved ones to see them through glass.

Four boys were rescued from the underground caves on Sunday, bringing the total number of recovered children to eight.

Rescue organisers said they needed 20 hours to replan and replenish oxygen supplies, with the next rescue mission expected to come some time on Tuesday afternoon.

Soccer's governing body, FIFA, has invited the boys to the World Cup final in Moscow on Sunday if they are healthy enough to go.

The Wild Boars is the name of the soccer team that found themselves stranded after exploring the cave complex in the northern province of Chiang Rai after soccer practice.

Jesada Chokdumrongsuk, deputy director-general of the Public Health Ministry, said Tuesday that the first four boys rescued, aged 12 to 16, are now able to eat normal food. After they were found on July 2, officials cautioned it could take some time to get them out, but authorities chose to act with heavy rains forecast to hit the region.

Elon Musk visited the flooded Thailand cave to offer a "kid-sized" submarine to help with the rescue - only to be told his technology wasn't "practical" to the mission.

The tech entrepreneur tweeted Tuesday morning he'd "Just returned from Cave 3" referring to the rescuers' command centre inside the extensive cave network. Dr Jedsada said they were uncertain what type of infections the boys could face "because we have never experienced this kind of issue from a deep cave".

Share