World Media

'Bloody massacre': Sudan forces kill at least 30, protesters say

Sudanese Troops Begin Dispersing Sit-In Protest Near Khartoum's Army HQ – Report

According to Qatari Al-Jazeera, Sudan's opposition and protest group alliance said on Monday it was halting all contact and negotiations with the country's military council after security forces launched a deadly raid on a protest sit-in.

The sit-in begin several weeks ago as civilians and military officials argue over the makeup of a transitional government, following the military overthrow of Omar al-Bashir in April, after mass protests against his 30-year rule.

The military council has denied multiple reports of their forces violently dispersing the sit-in in front of army headquarters, as protesters took to the streets in towns around the country.

The Sudanese Professionals Association, which has been spearheading the protests, accused the military of a "treacherous attempt to break up our sit-in".

Protests groups urged medical personnel to rush to Khartoum's hospitals and called for blood donations. The military said it would let protesters form a government but insists on maintaining authority during an interim period which is opposed by protesters.

Just over a week earlier, the head of the military council ruling Sudan, Gen. Abdel-Fattah Burhan, met with his two top allies, the president of Egypt and the crown prince of the United Arab Emirates.

However, the much needed peace and stability remained elusive as the civilians continued to demand for a civilian rule saying they were exhausted of a military rule and would only leave the streets once their demands are met.

Demonstrators, some waving Sudanese flags, hurled stones at security forces, who charged amid sounds of intense gunfire.

An Associated Press journalist saw smoke rising from the area early Monday and civilians being detained.

The US Embassy in Khartoum said that the Transitional Military Council "cannot responsibly lead the people of Sudan", condemning the attacks.

Dura Gambo, an activist, said large numbers of troops had besieged the sit-in area and arrested protesters trying to leave.

The Sudan Doctors' Committee said on Monday that the death toll, which includes at least one child, is rising and has been hard to count in the sit-in area outside the military complex in Khartoum.

"No excuse for any such attack".

In some cases, security forces burst into hospital compounds to pursue the protesters, reports said. "Must. Stop. Now", as he expressed concern at the gunfire. Civilians were not allowed to walk in the streets, including women and children. Those leaders backed al-Bashir's removal and have thrown strong support to the military council.

Videos circulating online appeared to show protesters standing at low brick barricades in the street, then being driven back by walls of blue-clad security forces carrying sticks.

Talks between protesters and Sudan's military rulers over who should govern during a transitional period are in deadlock.

It called on Sudanese to take part in "total civil disobedience" to topple the military council.