Business

Advertisers flee Fox's Bill O'Reilly Show amid sexual harassment lawsuits

Share
Julie Roginsky left who said that a promised position on a Fox show never happened after she rejected the sexual advances of Roger Ailes right

That same day CNN host Don Lemon dedicated the first 30 minutes of the 11 pm hour of his show to cover the O'Reilly sexual harassment allegations, which were first reported by The New York Times over the weekend.

Within days of The New York Times reporting that O'Reilly and Fox had paid at least $13 million to silence his accusers, satirical sites have joined the Bills at the hip. Like Mercedes-Benz, Hyundai found the allegations "disturbing" and said they want to partner with those who share their values of inclusion and diversity.

A cascade of companies announced they were withdrawing advertisements from his show, including Mercedes-Benz, Hyundai, BMW and GlaxoSmithKline. On Tuesday, the National Organization for Women demanded O'Reilly be fired from the news channel immediately. And the investment firm T.Rowe Price said Tuesday afternoon that it had chose to pull its upcoming ads from the program in light of the new allegations.

Fox News, one of the most-watched cable news networks has been making headlines in the recent past for the wrong reasons.

But the scandal has not died down, and a number of individuals and organizations are now calling on Fox News to fire Bill O'Reilly.

Fox News is ultimately a business and it makes money primarily from selling advertising spots during its programming.

A list of companies that ran commercials during the East Coast airing of the Tuesday night Fox News show is below. In 2007, a number of advertisers, including Procter & Gamble, chose to make sure their ads stopped appearing during MSNBC's morning broadcasts of radio host Don Imus' program on that network after he made racist remarks about the Rutgers University women's basketball team.

"Women have the right to go to work without facing harassment", writes O'Neill.

"The O'Reilly Factor" still airs weekdays on Fox News.

Their actions follow a New York Times report last week that said Fox and the channel's star host had settled five sexual harassment complaints worth $13 million with female employees who have worked with O'Reilly over the past 15 years. Ailes has denied previous allegations. In July, then-network president Roger Ailes was forced out after multiple allegations of harassment were lodged against him.

The claims made against O'Reilly include one from a former on-air talent who said she was propositioned by the anchor and suffered recriminations and a loss of opportunities within Fox News after turning him down.

In addition on Monday, Fox News contributor Julie Roginsky filed a lawsuit against Fox News claiming Ailes sexually harassed her and that she was demoted after rebuffing his advances.

Share