World Media

19 killed, dozens hurt in Hong Kong double-decker bus crash

Share
Rescuers check beside a crashed bus in Hong Kong China Feb 10 2018. Reuters

At least 19 people have died and dozens more left injured after a high-speed double-decker bus crash in Hong Kong.

The bus belonged to Kowloon Motor Bus Company (KMB), which said it would cooperate fully with government and police investigations into the crash.

Images from the scene showed the passenger bus lying on its side.

Most of the passengers were horse racing fans, as the bus was traveling on a special route for horse racing days.

The driver of the bus was arrested on Saturday evening for unsafe driving. The top of the bus appeared to have been torn off, local media reported. It was really chaotic in the bus.

The southern Chinese city promotes its public transport system as one of the best infrastructures in the world but fatal accidents do occasionally happen.

A total of 65 people were injured, some critically, according to local police.

Multiple passengers interviewed by the TVB and Cable TV news channels said the bus was speeding.

Hong Kong's double-decker buses can accommodate around 140 seated and standing passengers, depending upon the model. He also called for action on the issue of Hong Kong drivers working too many hours.

Chief Executive Carrie Lam said the government is "deeply grieved" by the accident.

The South China Morning Post reported that it was the Asian financial centre's deadliest traffic accident since a 2003 bus accident that killed 21 people.

Fourteen people were injured last April when a double-decker tram tipped over, with a 23-year-old driver later arrested for risky driving causing harm to others.

The bus had been taking passengers from Sha Tin Racecourse to Tai Po.

Share