World Media

1 dead, several ill after chemical accident at a Buffalo Wild Wings

Share
Courtesy John Guilfoil Media

Authorities are still investigating how a routine cleaning procedure at a Buffalo Wild Wings outside Boston led to the the death of the restaurant's manager and the hospitalization of at least 13 other people.

Authorities said in a statement Friday that a preliminary investigation indicated that an unnamed employee had applied Super 8 and Scale Kleen to the kitchen floor while cleaning.

Emergency responders arrived at the restaurant on Thursday evening just after 5:30 p.m. after receiving a report of a "sick individual and a potential chemical release", interim Burlington Fire Chief Michael Patterson told reporters.

On Wednesday, staff at a Buffalo Wild Wings in a strip mall in Naperville, Illinois, ordered a mostly African American group of customers to switch tables because another patron did not want to sit next to black people.

At least 10 other employees and two customers checked themselves into the hospital for symptoms that included difficulty breathing, burning eyes and shortness of breath.

Baldera was rushed to Lahey Hospital, where he later died.

A second worker "attempted to squeegee the product out of the building when he was overcome", Patterson said.

They were being treated with oxygen, and none of them was believed to be in serious condition, according to Patterson.

"When he started to scrub, there was some type of chemical reaction", he says.

The Naperville Police Department began an investigation after the restaurant received several threatening phone calls following that incident. Police advised anyone who thought they could have been exposed to the chemical reaction to seek medical treatment.

"We are shocked and saddened to learn of this horrific accident at our franchise-owned sports bar and are working closely with our franchisee and the authorities while they conduct an investigation", the company said. He said it was unclear whether that substance was mixed with another chemical. It will then be turned over to the management who will be responsible for cleaning the building to ensure it is safe, Patterson said.

The federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (Osha) standards require employees to be trained in which chemicals they work with and how to use them safely.

He could give no information about the employee who died.

Share